Monday, July 7, 2008

It's only 2 years, right?

Or that's what Steven promised me, we'd be back in California in 24 months. Or 730 days. Not that I'm counting or anything.

Our drive to our new home was interesting, to say the least. We had family friends who recently made the trek from SoCal to Austin and it took them 28 hours so at least we knew what to expect (sort of). It took us 29-ish hours, I will be happy to never do that drive again!

All of our precious belongings fit into this, a 26 foot Penske truck.

Steven drove the truck for most of the way while I followed behind in my car. His brother helped us along the way so we could take breaks. Thank god for XM radio, I don't know if I would have survived without it, especially since cell phone service was shotty at best for most of the drive through Texas. Don't even want to know what the radio selection is like.
Somewhere in Arizona - the lady in the gas station said it had been 116 degrees the day before:/


Meanwhile, crossing into New Mexico, we drove through this madness. It just started pouring with a crazy thunder storm.


This is just, um, interesting. I should get used to it since there are churches just about on every block in this state. They don't call the south "the Bible Belt" for nothing. The truck reads "Jesus Christ is Lord, Not a Swear Word."


Welcome to Texas! Just below the sign reads "Drive Friendly - The Texas Way." Um, we're from Southern California. Have you seen the 405 during rush hour? We don't drive "friendly."

I lost it about two hours from our destination...between the exhaustion and the stress, it was all very overwhelming. I have to remind myself that it's not California - it's normal for men to be wearing tight pants with cowboy boots/hats. It's normal to see a taxidermist office (is that what it's even called?). It's normal to be called ma'am, although I'm not sure if I'm going to get used to that one.

And our new, but temporary, home. It needs quite a bit of work, but a fresh coat of paint and some new carpet will make it 1,000 times better. I have to remind myself to breathe, eventually everything will be finished. Pictures of the inside will come later when things have actually been unpacked/painted/etc.
We have great neighbors, almost everyone came over to say hello the first day - the lady next door even came over with her 6 yr old son and gave us cold lemonade. So nice!
Now back to unpacking...

15 comments:

wan said...

miss you already! i'm glad you arrived in one piece...mostly ;)

amber said...

i'm glad you guys made it there safely!

the house is so cute from the outside -- can't wait to see inside pics :)

Anonymous said...

waaaaahhhhh. You are officially too far away.

R said...

I'm not gonna lie, that drive sounds horrendous. The neighbors were the light at the end of the tunnel though. So sweet of them!

weezermonkey said...

The outside of the house looks good! I am going to stay positive for you! :)

dapotato said...

yaaaay! you made it! it is truly a different world out there, but like you said, it's only two years. i remember those random thunderstorms when driving cross-country. so sudden and pouring buckets. glad you have nice neighbors, though. you definitely aren't in california anymore, if they're coming over to say hi. ;)

Leslie said...

There are some good things about Texas, trust me! (Try the Mexican food, it's so awesome.)

You'll get used to it. I swear, it took me about a year to get adjusted to being in California. The two places are SO different.

I'm just an email away if you need anything! :)

Winnie said...

That's a cute house! I hate it when people call me ma'am :( And it's just going to be two years right? Start a countdown calendar.

Yahpee said...

:D

I'm counting down with ya!

Trisha said...

Beautiful home! I'm excited to see the inside.

I hope you have a great time during your Texas adventure. I'm sure it will be tough to adjust, but the people (so far) seem nice and knowing your personality, you'll make fab friends in no time.

Feminist Gold Digger said...

Where is the Keep Austin Weird sign??

Just think, in two years, you will wonder how you ever lived without a single family home and your very own front and backyard.

Katherine said...

Cute house! I have a good friend who lives in Austin and she loves it. We have actually talked about settling there. (but not for like 5 years.) I hope you're enjoying yourself and staying cool!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad you're gone :(

But the home looks good and glad you have nice neighbors.

KP said...

You are still coming home (your real home, OC) on the 11th right? Right?

10yearstogether said...

I'm glad you made it there safe, and the house is so pretty! Even happier for you that you've at least been able to make a few neighbor friends. Don't forget about little ole us over here though!