Monday, August 17, 2009

Coconut Cake

I'm back, sort of. Sadly, life in the lone star state is not exciting by any means. It certainly doesn't help when we are on day 57 of triple digit heat and it's only mid-August. - apparently, we've already set a record. :/

Being a lady-of-leisure (aka temporarily unemployed) has allowed me to try some new recipes. I'm proud to say most have been winners, such as homemade pizza dough, chicken & summer vegetable tostadas (this calls for using the broiler, yeah right. I warmed the tortillas in the micro), and my new favorite salad because it requires 0 cooking. ZERO! I cheated and used defrosted corn, but hey - can you blame me? Lemon mint granitas and watermelon lemonade are really refreshing, especially when vodka is added.

Sadly, some of the recipes have been duds. Do yourself a favor and don't bother trying these, they aren't worth it. Eggplant pizza? No. Way too much eggplant and just a weird flavor. Peanut butter world peace cookies? Sound great in theory, choc + p.b., even the dough was tasty. The final product? No thanks. I'm thinking adding eggs would make the cookies chewy, these were rather hard - and I not blaming it on my crappy oven that may, or may not, have overbaked them (I need a new oven, Steven!!!). The chocolate-covered marshmallow cookies were edible, but even with cutting the recipe in half, it was way too much. And the entire process was fairly time-consuming.

We celebrated a neighbor's birthday this past weekend and I went back to an old standby that I knew was good - a coconut bundt cake. And instead of using the glaze, I decided to drizzled with the chocolate sauce from this recipe. I was also channeling my friend Jocelyn since it was her birthday Saturday and she loves coconut; sadly she lives in VA so no cake for her.

Because Steven is the biggest.football.fan.EVER, I had bought a football stadium cake pan to make a birthday cake for him a few years ago. It's been sitting on the shelf ever since. :/ In honor of football season starting (already, really?), I thought I'd dust it off. And because Texans are absolute freaks about their football, I made a little University of Texas flag and a little Ohio State flag (our neighbors love OSU).

The final product:





I'm hoping this means I might be a little more motivated to blog. Don't be too optimistic, this lady-of-leisure is going back to work soon.

5 comments:

NorCalMrs said...

Mmmm...caaaaake. Thanks for the do's and dont's of the recipe world. Can't wait to try some of them!

I hope it cools down soon for you...and rains. I'll talk to the rain gods and see if they wont mind leaving FL and heading your way.

dapotato said...

yay! blog more! i need to make that salad again soon. the corn at the store this week was gross and expensive, so i got frozen corn, too. tastes better than bad, "fresh" corn.

and hmm to the football stadium. that is all. ;)

Winnie said...

Welcome back! :) Even if it's just temporary. The cake looks so yummy! Tater shared your favorite salad recipe with me. It's super easy and oh-so-good! Thanks :)

Feminist Gold Digger said...

I think you should change your blog title to Life in Lithuania.

amber said...

She's aliiiiive! ;)

Yay for cooking! There's a lot of delicious sounding stuff in there.