Sunday, September 28, 2008

Gnocchi with Brown Butter Sauce

Ever since our stay in Italy, I've been dreaming about the food. Italians really do make the most amazing meals and I wanted to see if I could make some gnocchi. I attempted to make this recipe last weekend. It.was.awful. I don't know why the recipe says to boil the gnocchi for 4 minutes after they rise to the top of the boiling water - that's about 3 minutes too long. The result? One big mushy mess. And not edible.

So, I let one week pass and decided to try it again since I had a huge bag of potatoes. This time, I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen - although I still microwaved the pototoes and used a potato ricer, as the first recipe above suggests. 12 minutes in the micro versus 45 in the oven sounds much better to me.

I topped the gnocchi with a sage brown butter sauce, melting a stick (!!) of butter and adding some sage, salt and pepper, with nutmeg. After boiling the gnocchi, I put them in the pan with the sauce - it browned the gnocchi which I thought made it better.

I heated up some chicken sausage for protein (the stuff at the top of the plate) and voila:





It looks like one, big, brown mess, but it was a hit!

10 comments:

kim said...

Oh how I love gnocchi. I am far too lazy to make it, though.

Feminist Gold Digger said...

Anything consisting of a stick of butter is generally a hit with me!

weezermonkey said...

I can't no to gnocchi.

Winnie said...

We once made gnocchi from scratch using the recipe from William Sonoma. It turned out AWFUL. Yours look waaaaaay better!!! Definitely two thumbs up.

wan said...

butter is on my list of things that make everything better.

Laura said...

Looks yummy!!

Anonymous said...

How fun, Corinna and I L-O-V-E-D the food in Italy, actually we loved EVERYTHING about Italy, dream of living there almost daily.

Anonymous said...

How fun, Corinna and I L-O-V-E-D the food in Italy, actually we loved EVERYTHING about Italy, dream of living there almost daily.

R said...

Was it as good as the Italian version?

dapotato said...

YAY for gnocchi success!